Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Fuel: Gas grill and hot plate
- 2 large lamb backstraps
- 4 large pita breads (Greek or Lebanese pita)
- Homemade Tzatziki
- 1 red capsicum, cut into thin strips
- 1 Spanish onion thinly sliced
- Salad – Lettuce, chopped tomato and cucumber
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons of dried oregano (oregano can be substituted using dried rosemary)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Season with salt/pepper
- 1 Cup of Greek Style Yoghurt
- 1 Lebanese cucumber deseeded & grated
- 2 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the lamb backstraps in half (long ways) and then in cubes.
- Add the marinade to the lamb and marinate in the fridge for 12 hours. (If you're in a hurry leave for at least 20 minutes). Then thread the lamb cubes on skewers.
- Step four – In a bowl, combine all ingredients for the Tzatziki, cover and place in the fridge until needed.
- Prepare and preheat BBQ for direct cooking, medium/high.
- Cook the lamb skewers for 8-10 minutes in total, turning frequently.
- Add the sliced capsicum and onion to a skillet with a little light olive oil and sauté. Set aside until needed.
- Remove the lamb skewers from the grill when cooked, cover with foil and rest for 2 minutes.
- Cook pita bread for 1 min over the grill grate and place on a plate. Then add tzatziki on the pita bread (about 1 tablespoon), sautéed capsicum and onion, salad and a lamb skewer.
Serve Lamb souvlaki with hand cut chips seasoned with your favourite seasoning.